Approximately 260,000 people worshiped the relics of Saint Parascheva, and about 50,000 were still in line on Saturday evening. Also, more than 10,000 participated in the religious service of the Saint.
”The pilgrimage of thousands of believers to the Feast of the Pious Parascheva shows how great is the missionary work of the Saints, who, through the example of their lives, gather people close to God”, said Patriarch Daniel in a message delivered to the crowd.
Saint Parascheva was born in the village of Epivat in Eastern Thrace, not far from Constantinople, around the beginning of the 11th century. She died at the age of 27 in the village of Epivat, where her relics sit for 175 years.
In 1223, the Romanian-Bulgarian Tsar Ioan Asan II (1218-1241) moved the relics of Saint Parascheva to Tarnovo, where they remained for another 160 years. In 1393, her holy relics were given to Mircea the Elder, and three years later, the Turks gave them to Queen Angelina of Serbia, who relocated them to Belgrade, where they stayed for another 125 years.
After the occupation of Serbia by the Turks, in 1521, the relics of Saint Parascheva were taken to the Sultan’s palace in Constantinople. The relics arrived in Iasi in 1641, on June 13, and were placed at the church of the Monastery of the Holy Three Hierarchs, where they stayed until December 26, 1888, when were transferred to the new Metropolitan Cathedral of Iasi.
Over 42,000 Romanians celebrate their name day on Saint Parascheva, 38,772 women, and 3,352 men. The most common name for women is Paraschiva – 34,072 people, while for men is Paraschiv – 3.017 people.